Sunday, October 19, 2008

Noodles

I first saw noodles being made on the television during the Olympics and thought it was just done in fancy restaurants to impress customers. But no, its pretty common here.

I first went to this noodle bar last Wednesday with a group of girls celebtrating a birthday. I ventured back there today for an early dinner and was amazed at the dexterity of this man making the noodles. Now back home noodles are made in a machine and have all sorts of preservatives and colourings. Since coming to China, I have seen noodles being made in a number of restaurants on order. It doesn't take long to turn the dough into noodles by stretching and dividing the dough.

I sat and waited for my bowl of noodles with beef and watched with great interest the noodles being made. When the noodles in broth arrived, they were soft and had a beautiful texture to them. The beef broth was very tasty indeed! Not bad value for 3 kuai ($0.60)

I was quite sneaky and filmed the guy from my table. I could see clearly what he was doing and it seemed quite straightforward, bit I know if I tried to do it, it would end up a disaster. And talking of disasters, the look I got as he turned around and saw me filming made me want to get up and run out of the restaurant... he wasn't happy. The film abruptly ends just as he turns.

2 comments:

Sol said...

I like noodle very much,it's very good!But I like in the restaurant,not at home!
What food do you eat in your lunch?I had often seeing you eaten lunch in the school restaurant everyday!
I ate lunch with monitor in a small restaurant near the school.After lunch,we had going to his dormitory to play cards with our mates ,we were very happy at that time!

caz and adz said...

Hi Locky,

Mandy forwarded me your email with details of your blog. Looking good ... and I liked hearing about your surreptitious (sp?) filming of the noodle-making and seeing your efforts. Sounds like you're have a great time in Hefei. Have you ventured beyond the city yet? What are your latest adventures?