Tuesday, October 14, 2008

First Days Teaching

It seems like I have been in Hefei alot longer than 5 days. I had a lovely weekend meeting and spending time with the other Australian teachers here as well as the token Kiwi. Isn't it funny, for such a small country, there are Kiwis all around the world in some strange places. Hefei isn't the exception. When I first met Dave, he was wearing a Waikato Chiefs rugby top, and I thought mmm... someone I can spend time talking rugby to, and drinking beer when there are some games on! Instant friendship.
I had my first day teaching yesterday and had 4 periods, starting at 8 and finishing by 12 PM! Not bad for day one. The kids are great... Despite what I had heard from some, the kids are lovely and seem really interested in learning. I have tried to put the usual 'Locky flair' into my teaching and so far they seem happy. The support staff are great and I hope to get them into the habit of after work drinks on Friday real quick!
I have taken a couple of pics of two of my first year classes and hope to have all my classes photographed soon. I have promised them to make a poster and put it up in the classroom with a photo of them and their English names to help me remember. I have made a promise if I cant remember their names in 3 weeks then I will buy them lunch! Luckily lunch at the canteen on campus is like $0.60 cents!!
I am having a great time. I cant wait to get more involved in the social life here through sports and learning Mandarin. There are some Mandarin tutors about, I just have to get settled properly and then make a commitment for 2-3 hour per week!


The pictures are of 2 of my first year classes. Look at their happy smiling faces!! Beautiful!

2 comments:

Sol said...

I am student of you.I am in class 2.I like your blog,and I love you.
My English is not good.Sorry.
Oh,my name is LiuPin,my English name is Sol!I am glad to do your students!

Locky Easom said...

Hello Sol.. I know who you are in my class. Thankyou very much for your comments and I really enjoy teaching here in Hefei.

Locky